Pages

Friday, January 27, 2012

Friday Four

1. I was doing really well with the run break until this week.  I took most of the first week off and then last week (week two) I enjoyed starting swimming again and didn't mind pool running instead of land running.  I certainly thought about running, but didn't feel any particular NEED to go running.  But this week things changed.  I have felt like I've had the worst taper brain ever.  I've been cranky and I've had lots of weird aches and pains pop up.  I also started counting down the days until Monday when I will run again.  I clearly could go out and run today or this weekend, but I'm determined to make it through the 21 days run-free.  I have no idea if these last few days will make any difference, but it's a challenge and I'm going to make it to the end.

2. Yesterday I didn't sleep well and just couldn't get myself out of bed to go to the pool before work.  So I ended up swimming last night.  I can't even remember when the last time was that I worked out in the evening.  It was fine (and the pool wasn't as crowded as I feared it might be), but on the drive home all I could think about was having a giant bowl of cereal for dinner.  The only other thing that seemed even mildly appealing was a bagel with peanut butter.  That's right, apparently my body is so conditioned to exercising in the morning that all I want to eat after a workout is breakfast foods.

3. Last summer I really enjoyed swimming again, but still managed to abandon it during marathon training in the fall.  I didn't swim once between Labor Day and mid-December.  I can't let that happen again this spring once I get back into heavy run training.  Not only do I have a relay to get ready for, but I also hope to do some other open water races this summer. And I really do like it, once I get myself back in the water on a semi-regular basis.  So if I start talking about how I just can't seem to find the time or motivation to go swim or that I haven't been to the pool in over a week, please yell at me.

4. Every time it rains I remember that I need to find a good lightweight, breathable running rain jacket.  The one that I have was advertised as a running jacket but is not breathable. Given how much it makes me sweat, I think I actually stay drier running the rain without it.  I'll probably read a ton of reviews and try a bunch on, but if you have one that you love, please let me know!

9 comments:

Sarah said...

Yes come join us for the open water swim at the end of May :)

Beth said...

I don't really think there exists a waterproof AND breathable jacket. I just accept that I'll be soaked by the end of the run.

Victoria said...

I find it funny that you are doing a 21 day no run challenge when most people do challenges that involve DOING activity.

Katie said...

GO SWIM GO SWIM NOWWWW

amy said...

Eh, skip the jacket. As long as you have something on that will regulate your temp, there's just no point. You're going to be wet no matter what.

Yay to the rest (and making it through the challenge of it, which clearly has become the driving force). I'm excited for you to come back and run with us though!

Jessica Karazsia (@irun26at8) said...

Taking a 3 week break is weird - mentally and physically - but something you will be able to talk about for years to come. Ha. Good job on sticking to it!

As we've talked about - I have been looking for the perfect to jacket to wear in 40 degree rain and/or 20 degree snow - I am still looking.

Anonymous said...

You're so close to your 21 days! You will make it! I do the same thing when I worked out in the evening, it's like I can't think of anything else to eat!!

Elizabeth said...

I agree with the others about the jacket being useless. I've foundnthe most important thing in the rain is a hat with a brim to keep the water off of your face. I think swimming+running will help you do awesome at your next marathon!

Anonymous said...

How about pancakes? In my life that's a perfectly acceptable breakfast-for-dinner solution.

I'm trying to max out my pool time, so seriously, let's make a swim date.