Pages

Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Richmond Marathon Training - Week 3

Monday August 20
Run 7.65 mi
I had to take my parents to the airport at 5:00am, so I started this run a bit earlier than I normally would on a weekday. Fortunately this gave me a chance to confirm that my headlamp was still working prior to Hood to Coast.

Tuesday August 21
Run 9.1 mi
1600 (7:06), 800 (3:27), 1600 (7:08), 800 (3:26)
This was a much better track session than the week before. I probably ran the first mile a bit too fast, but some people in my regular group pushed the pace and I got dragged along. Fortunately I don't think it hurt me during the rest of the intervals, but normally I like to try to get faster as I go along. I was considering completing the optional third set, but was told to go ahead and stop after two. I was not going to argue with that. Better to save my legs for the weekend!

Wednesday August 22
Run 8.5 mi
I couldn't make it to the evening CAR fun run, so I got in all my miles for the day during my morning run commute. I had time to go all the way around Hains Point, which is one of my favorite routes. I know a lot of people find it boring, but I enjoy the long out and back.

Thursday August 23
Pool run - 60 min
I debated doing a short run, but decided that an hour in the pool would be a better way to make sure my legs were loose and ready for the big weekend ahead.

Friday August 24
Hood to Coast - Leg 1 (4.55 mi) and Leg 2 (5.75 mi)
Our team started at 8:45am and I ran my first leg in the early afternoon. The second leg was by far my hardest and involved running up a mountain on a gravel road in the dark. Almost 1000 ft of elevation gain in less than 5 miles. Fun.

Saturday August 25
Hood to Coast - Leg 3 (4.1 mi)
I started my last leg a little before 6:00 am and got to run through the countryside as the sun came up. Our team finished in a time of 24:27:16, 61st overall out of 1070 teams. I can't say enough about how much fun it was and will try to get a race report up sometime soon.

Sunday August 26
Rest
A LONG day of travel back to DC.

Week 3 - 39.65 mi
A bit of a cutback week mileage-wise, but the main focus was Hood to Coast. I was happy with how I felt heading into the race and think that I ran three strong legs. I don't think it could have gone much better. This week will be focused on recovery and making sure that I'm ready to jump right back into full marathon training in Week 5.

6 comments:

Jon said...

Awesome job Allison! Can't wait to hear about Hood to Coast. I forsee a HUGE PR @ Richmond!!!

Beth said...

Ditto ^^

Also, you are definitely inspiring me to GET OFF THE COUCH and start running again. Plus, swim?

Teamarcia said...

Wow you had a solid training week not to mention BUSY! That 2nd HTC leg sounds brutal. Well done!

Anonymous said...

Great week! Cannot wait for the HTC report!

Rachel said...

looking forward to hearing about HTC!!

AKA Darkwave, AKA Anarcha, AKA Cris. said...

" I know a lot of people find it boring, but I enjoy the long out and back."

Sadist. (keep in mind that this comes from someone who loves the towpath)