Pages

Friday, June 24, 2011

Friday Five

1. As I said in my post on Wednesday, I got back on my bike.  It was hard.  My physical injuries were relatively minor, but the mental damage was pretty significant.  As I said back in my first post about my thoughts on biking, I came into this with a great fear of falling.  Once I started riding more I started feeling much more comfortable and in the last few weeks I finally was confident enough to make the switch to clipless pedals.  I had two newbie shoe/pedal related falls and those did not trigger my anxiety.  I think I knew that they were inevitable, and since both happened when I was essentially stopped they weren't too painful.  Saturday's crash was completely different.  It was at a decent speed and doing something that already made me nervous (picking up speed on a downhill).   So, as a result, all of my original scared feelings came back to the surface.  I felt much better after Wednesday morning's ride, but was extra nervous for my commute home and again when I went out this morning.  I know it's just something that I have to accept and that over time I'll feel less and less nervous (until I fall again, haha).

2. I'm participating in a CSA for the first time, through my office (so convenient!), and this week was my first delivery.  I'm not much of a foodie (and my skills in the kitchen are extremely limited), but will probably try to do a weekly post about what I received and what I managed to make.  I signed up because I wanted to motivate myself to try cooking new things and push myself out of my cooking comfort zone.  I'm hoping that by sharing it here, I'll be even more motivated to try new things since no one is going to want to hear about how I made a ton of salads.

3. Look what came in the mail yesterday!



I feel like I should put a little piece of tape on it to correct 10k to 5k. Or I could just let people be really impressed when I tell them my time for the "10k."

4.  I don't talk about it much on this blog, but I am a sports junkie.  I'll watch pretty much any major sport (excluding NASCAR) on TV or in person, as well as all of the minor ones that fall in what I would call the "Olympic" category.  Having grown up in the area, I'm a big fan of all the DC teams.  I've been happily following the Nationals' recent success, so I was shocked yesterday afternoon when news popped up on Twitter that manager Jim Riggleman had resigned.  Only in DC would a manager leave (over a contract dispute) when the team had just won 11 of 12 games.  Clearly the universe doesn't like any departure from mediocrity!

5. And to end on a happy note, here are some cute cat pictures!


12 comments:

Katie said...

I love that you placed in the law librarian category!

amy said...

I've now had 4 falls - 3 caused by my pedals/poor street choices given my pedals and 1 caused by someone else's stupidity. I've learned to take them in stride but not actually fear them. Somehow, I think the more you fall the less nervous about it you get.

Congrats on the category win. And your cat is cute!

Lauren said...

cute kitty!

congrats on the win! woo hoo!

Anonymous said...

Sorry I've been MIA, but I've been keeping up! So very sorry about your fall, I think the clipless pedals (although they used to clip) are the reason I stopped riding. Good for you for getting back on, and I think that section of Mt. Vernon is very tough on a bike.

Cute cat & I love the LHH pics, even at the end!

Liz said...

congrats on your award!
I highly recommend Mark Bittman's how to cook everything vegetarian if you need a cookbook to tell you how to cook weird/new-to-you vegetables.

MCM Mama said...

Love that you won as a Law Librarian. BTW, I'm totally curious as to where you work as that used to be my field and I still have friends in the area. Shoot me an email at mom2shoo at gmail.com if you'd like to chat.

Stephanie said...

I am so glad you got back on the bike! It is really hard. After my car crash, I did not want to drive that night, my husband made me because you have to get back up and try again and face your fears. good for you! Congrats on the win again! Also i joined a CSA too but we keep getting all these radishes and peas!! i can't keep up with it.

Here is what I posted on my block in reply..I need your email or you won't get notified that I responsed silly blogger:

I know i sooo agree! But then they change the model and everything goes to sh*t! Ugh and now my ankle is throbbing. not to complain or anything haha! Anywy thanks for the follow!!! I followed you too yay:)

Rachel said...

way to get back out there. i heard a saying that seems very true: there are two kinds of cyclists, those who have crashed, and those who will. at least you have it behind you! congrats on the award, too. we get a csa box and i can say everything is so much better than from the store...so fresh! and it forces you to try new things and have fun!

Anonymous said...

Congrats on placing. You should totally just let people think you ran a world record setting 10K! :)

And agreed on the Nats! I mean... wow Jim Riggleman. I'm so disappointed in him.

Cute kitty!

Anonymous said...

Sorry on my lack of comments...work and weddings arekilling me. But so sorry to hear about your fall. I'm not much of a cyclist, but I could imagine how it would shake you up. But as they say, if you fall of the horse, pick yourself up and get back on.

And congrats on the win!

Anonymous said...

When I first started Tri's, I hadn't been on a bike in like 10 years. I was, and still am, very afraid all the time on the bike. In my first race I took a fall. I remember my friend saying there are onlu two catergories of bikers- those who have fallen and those who will. Even though I am still scared, I do it. Congrats on getting up again!!!

Erin @ UntilYouTri said...

Aww, like I said in my last (novel) comment, I totally feel you on the bike fear getting back on. It does take a while, but just focus on deep breaths when you get nervous and the fear will go away eventually.

Haha, that's awesome about your award:) And your cat is adorable!!:)