Pages

Monday, August 15, 2011

Philadelphia Marathon Training - Week 2

Monday August 8
3.0 mi
I love the early days of marathon training when there are still 3 mile runs on the schedule!
Tuesday August 9
6.0 mi

Wednesday August 10
Swim 3150 yds
Since I'm easing back into this all running schedule, and I'm probably swimming a 5k in a few weeks, I decided to replace Wednesday's 3 mile run with a swim.

Thursday August 11
6.0 mi pace
My current marathon PR is a 10:43 average pace.  When I use the McMillan running calculator, my times in shorter races predict that I can run a significantly faster marathon.  Even my half marathon PR says I can run almost 30 minutes faster.  While I'm definitely shooting for a PR in Philadelphia, I don't really think that big of a time drop is realistic.  I know myself and I know that I need to force myself start conservatively and then pick up the pace in the second half if I feel good.  The point of all this is that I am targeting a 10:00-10:15 pace on these pace runs.  Unfortunately, in this run I went a bit too fast and most of the miles were in the 9:45-9:50 range.  While it's always exciting to go faster than a goal, I need to do a better job of teaching myself to run the "right" pace.  It's not going to do me any good to run the pace runs at a sub-10 pace when starting a marathon that way will result in a painful crash and burn.
Friday August 12
Rest

Saturday August 13
12.0 mi
My friend left town mid-day on Saturday and I knew it was supposed to rain a lot on Sunday, so I decided to head out for an afternoon long run.  I was a bit nervous about how my stomach would handle it (I've had problems in the past), but that didn't turn out to be a problem.  However, the run was not easy and my left knee felt a bit off.  I had 12-13 on the schedule so I decided to stop right when I got to 12.  Then on the way home I stopped at CVS to pick up a bag of ice for my first ever ice bath.  Bea was pretty curious about the whole process and I was a bit concerned that I was going to end up with a cold, wet, very unhappy cat.


Sunday August 14
Swim 4000 yds
I figured it was time to up the distance in the pool from my regular 3000ish yards.  I even forced myself to do a semi-long set of 8x200 (I think 4-5 is a good number of repeats so 8 was an achievement).  It was a good day in the pool though I could definitely feel the extra distance in my upper body later in the afternoon.

Week 2 (miles planned/ran): 30-31/27 

8 comments:

Beth said...

ooh, 8x200. I just started doing those this week, too. Killer workout!

Excellent training week!

Teamarcia said...

Very nice week! You're off to a strong start!

Sarah said...

Great Training week! I love the picture of your cat :) Kiwi always is wondering what is going on when I take a shower and jumps in the shower when I get out to lick the water.

Katie said...

i am scared of 200s. that is all.

Anonymous said...

Nice training week! My dog didn't know what to make of my ice bath this weekend. He loves ice cubes but hates the sound of me screaming and cursing about how cold it was. He kept running in and out of the bathroom in confusion haha.

Jon said...

Welcome to the ice bath club! Guilt free excuse to drink hot chocolate to stay warm.

B.o.B. said...

amazing job on the swimming! 4000 is super impressive. i get to 2000 and i'm beat to hell. lol!

def need to stay in the pace on those pace runs. i'm terrible at it too b/c when you feel good it's hard to reign it in.

Stephanie said...

sounds like a great week to me. I can't believe I am coming to DC in a few weeks. Can't wait to meet you yay :)