Pages

Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Bargaining

I find that for the most part, I don't have too much trouble getting up early to run before work.  I've been doing it long enough that my body has more or less adjusted to the early hour.  Granted, I'm not exactly thrilled when the alarm goes off, but it's not too hard to get out of bed.  I think it helps that I know I'll be glad I did it when I finish the workout and that if I don't get up, I'll have to rearrange my evening schedule and also deal with a gym that is really crowded.

I've been trying to go to the track on Monday nights for some speedwork, but when I drove by on Sunday, I saw that it was still covered in snow.  So that left me with a morning visit to the gym and speedwork on the treadmill instead.  But when my alarm went off at 5:20, I had no desire to get up.  The normal tricks I use to convince myself (see above) were not working.  My legs were feeling a bit sore and the thought of speedy running was intimidating.  I think if it had been a slow (or even average) paced 5-6 miles, I would have been fine.   So I had to resort to a bit of self-bribery.  If I got up and went, I could reduce the number of repeats.  5x1200 instead of 6.  I don't like cutting workouts (even though I'm only accountable to myself), but it had to be done.  If I hadn't gone, I don't know that it would have gotten done at night or today.  There was definitely that little voice that was telling me "you've been working hard, you can afford to skip one workout."  While I will list to my body and take an extra rest day when it's needed, I knew that wasn't the case here.  This was the lazy voice talking.  So I decided losing .75 miles off my daily total was a better solution than losing 6+.

Does anyone else ever bargain with themselves?  What kind of deals do you strike?  I have also been known to reward myself with a fancy coffee or other treat.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I make some pretty ridiculous bargains with myself! :) I had signed up to run Presidents Mile last year, but along with the 10k, it got cancelled due to weather! Hope to see you there or def at the 10k!