Pages

Thursday, June 2, 2011

May Recap

Miles: 83.29

X-Training: 14 (Bike - 8, Swim - 4, Elliptical - 2)
Biking Miles: 133.65 

Rest Days: 3

Race(s): Broad Street Run - 1:28:17 (new 10m PR!), BRATS Salute to the Military Sprint Tri - 1:21:07

New gear: Bike gloves 

Workout goals: 
Swim once a week - More or less achieved.  I swam 4 times, though I missed the first week and doubled up another one.  I also managed to start swimming in the mornings, which I feel is a bigger achievement!

Bike more than four times - I doubled up this goal and got out on the bike 8 times!

Get back to the track/speedwork to prep for a 10k in June - This didn't happen at all.  It took me longer than I expected for my legs to feel back to normal after Broad Street and I cut back on my running days as I tried to fit in biking and swimming

Similar running mileage to April, even though I have no longer races anytime soon - I was 10 miles short here and and ended up with my lowest mileage month of the year.  However, I think it was probably good for me to get more time in the pool and on the bike.  My body could probably use a bit of a break before I have to start marathon training in July.

Non-workout goal: Weed out and donate those winter clothes that I don't really wear and get the rest of them put away for the summer. Done, though I need to actually take the clothes I weeded out and donate them.


Ice cream flavor of the month: Black Cherry Vanilla

May was a good month for triathlon training.  My running mileage was the lowest of the year, but I greatly increased my time (and distance) on the bike and maintained my swimming frequency.  I think it's for the best since I will have to pick up the running intensity and volume again in late July when I start training for the Philly marathon.  I'm really happy about the progress I made on the bike in May.  At the beginning of the month I was really feeling frustrated and not sure I wanted to stick with the tri training.  Once I realized that I just needed more practice and committed to riding more frequently, I had a real mental breakthrough and am feeling much more comfortable on my bike.  Hopefully this progress continues in June!

June Preview

Workout goals:   
Keep up the biking and swimming
New PDR on the bike - Currently at 20.5 miles, so perfectly achievable
Make a decision about bike shoes/pedals - if I'm going to make the switch this summer I'd like to do it soon so I have plenty of time to practice before my next race
Get back over 90 miles running for the month

Races: Lawyers Have Heart 10k (June 11)

Non-workout goal: Try some new recipes.  I'm stuck in a rut, so it's time to add some new things to my regular rotation.

3 comments:

Gaspegirl said...

You had a great May and good luck with the goals in June. Perhaps you might like to subscribe to the Clean Eating Magazine to help you get out of your cooking ruts... it works for me

Katie said...

the pedal/shoe thing is easier than you think! everyone falls a few times but it only takes a few days to get used to it. :)

Sarah said...

Pedals/shoes all the way!!

Lawyers have heart is a fun race, I ran it a couple years ago.

I need recipes as well. I make the same 4 things over and over again.