Pages

Thursday, May 19, 2011

Three Things Thursday - Food edition

1. Last night one of the other residents in my apartment complex organized a birthday party for our unofficial on-site manager who was turning 92!  I hope that I can be in half as good of shape as he is when (if) I get to that age.  Someone asked if the faucet in his apartment tapped into the fountain of youth (he has been living in the same apartment since the 1950s), and he laughed and said his advice was to “eat lots of vegetables!”

2. Over the last year or so, my office has implemented a series of “healthy living” initiatives including on-site exercise classes and lunchtime meetings/demos with nutritionists.  And, sadly, I discovered the other day that these initiatives have now reached the vending machine.  While I am all for healthy options, I was really craving a candy bar on Tuesday afternoon.  I don’t visit the vending machine all that frequently, but the last time I did, there were plenty of choices.  Unfortunately, that is not the case anymore.  There were nutrigrain bars, fiber one bars, low-fat looking cookies, trail mix and baked potato chips.  No chocolate in sight.  So I went back to my desk and had a fiber one bar (one that I got at the grocery store and did not cost me $1).  It was such a disappointment.


3. I need some new quick and easy dinner ideas.  As I posted on Twitter yesterday, all too frequently I spent some part of my afternoon thinking about great tasty things to make for dinner and then I get home and am too hungry, tired, or lazy to take the time to cook anything and just have a giant bowl of cereal.  Or I heat up a can of soup or frozen dinner.  I have a range of excuses: it's annoying to cook for one, I don't have a dishwasher so the clean up from multi-pot dishes is annoying, I don't have time to make something complicated, etc.


Last night I actually managed to cook a big batch of "filling" for veggie burritos. It's a very easy (non) recipe that I got from a friend and attempt to make on a semi-regular basis.  I just brown an onion then add corn, tomato, black beans and green chilies.  I usually just use one onion and a can of each of the others, but I'm sure fresh or frozen would work just as well.  Last night I threw in some peppers (frozen) as well.  I either throw it in a tortilla with some cheese or with rice.  I end up with leftovers for one or two other meals, which is nice because I don't have to go through the dinner dilemma for the next few nights!



If you have any easy favorites, please share.  I could use the help!

6 comments:

Beth said...

My cooking for one is usually omlettes, fish burgers, or mac and cheese. Thats probably not helpful though :) I agree that cooking for one just isn't as satisfying or worth the effort.

Anonymous said...

I am going to start eating more vegetables!

#2! No fair, everyone needs m&ms now and again!

I'm with you, I come home, I want to eat, immediately, no time to cook.

Stephanie said...

I just found your blog. I love the beautiful fall trees. I would love to hear about your Marine Corps experience.

Easy dinners? Pasta, make it early and eat it all week long, I have some great ones one of my favorites is pasta with sundried tomatos and spinach

B.o.B. said...

Damn that healthy living initiative! LOL! If they did that where I work people would stage a walk out.

My #1 quick and easy breakfast meal, that I guess you could do for dinner, is egg frittatas. Mix a few eggs, some veggies, a little milk and pour into lightly greased muffin pan. Bake at 350 for about 10-15 mintues and pop them out. You can store them easily in ziplocks and eat them at the office or one the way to work. (I submitted this to Self magazine and they printed it!)

Erin @ UntilYouTri said...

Hi! Saw that you commented on Lauren's blog about finding DC area runners/athletes. So as a DC-area runner/triathlete/blogger I had to come check out your blog!:)

I love the taco filling idea, that's great! It's always hard to find time to cook. I go through phases where I love it and don't mind making the time, or I'll be too stressed and not want to take more than 5 minutes to get my food ready, haha:).

Rachel said...

ahhh i so do NOT miss cooking for one! some of my regulars, however, included: burrito bowls (easy and fast), omelets, giant salads, veggie burgers, baked sweet potato w/ canned chili, roasted veggies (super easy and can be made in bulk!), and one-pot grain (brown rice, quinoa, etc) and veggie dishes (i added roasted veggies, frozen, and then some kind of dressing/sauce). if you have one near you, Trader Joe's also has awesome frozen meal stuff perfect for one! but i'll admit the hungrier i was/the later it was i got lazy, too : )