Pages

Friday, May 27, 2011

Triathlon Race Goals

On Sunday I'll be racing my first sprint triathlon!  I'm pretty excited about it.  I don't feel too nervous about it since it's my first one and I have no previous time to beat.  I haven't been biking all that long and I'm getting back into swimming, so I don't expect this to be a particularly speedy race.  However, I am hoping that it will serve as a good baseline and make me even more motivated to keep training (and not head back to just running).

Swim - 300 meters
I made a rough estimate of my time for a 300 based on how I have been swimming recently and the pace I held last year in a shorter than sprint triathlon.  I also had to do a yards to meters conversion.  I ended up entering myself with a 5:20.  While I am hoping that is a relatively accurate prediction, it is probably on the faster end of what I am capable of when you eliminate flip turns and require crossing under lane lines.  However, since this is a snake swim, I'd prefer to be passed by a few people than have to pass a number of people myself.  I don't see this as starting with the 7:00 minute milers when you hope to run a 10:00 minute pace, it's more like starting with the 7:00 minute milers when you hope to run a 7:00-7:30 minute pace.  Hopefully I will be able to be right around 5:20 (or faster), but I'll be happy with anything sub 5:30.
Goal - sub 5:30

Bike - 12 miles
On page of the website says the bike leg is 11.75 miles and another says 12.4.  I'm just going to assume it's somewhere around 12.  I'll just keep riding until I'm finished and see how far I went. :)  I really have no idea what to expect out of this portion of the race.  I'm assuming that I can probably go a bit quicker than I have in my training rides, but that is no guarantee since a lot of them have been around pancake flat Hains Point.  I've been averaging somewhere in the 11-13 mph range, though that always includes some slowing at intersections and then starting up again.  So my goal is to finish this leg of the race in under an hour.  I think I should be able to hold a 12mph pace in a race setting (even with hills).
Goal - sub 60 min.

Run - 5k
I'm not exactly sure how this will go since I've only done two brick workouts.  But both times I've actually run at a pretty quick pace (faster than I "felt" like I was going) and both times I rode farther than 12 miles.  I'd think I can hold a sub 9:00 minute mile pace for the run, though I'd like to shoot for faster.  I'm just going to start running and see how it goes.
Goal - sub 28 min

So, I guess with transitions that puts me somewhere in the 1:35 range?  I'm not really too focused on the time (overall or for each leg), my real goal is to just get out there and complete it (maybe with a little racing thrown in).

It's going to be hot on Sunday (even at 7am), so that adds another fun element to the mix.  This morning for the first time I successfully drank from my water bottle while riding my bike.  So I'm not sure how much hydration will be happening on the bike.  Fortunately, it is only 12 miles and I guess I can just chug water in transition.  I also don't have a wetsuit, so let's hope the pool water has been warmed up slightly by the recent temperatures.  At least I know what I am doing while running (though I do need to remember to put the speed laces on my shoes)!

I have no doubt that it will be an interesting race.  Hope everyone has a nice long weekend.

7 comments:

amy said...

I'm so impressed with the drinking while on the bike! How did you do it? I'll be cheering for you on Sunday!

Sarah said...

I will be cheering for you this weekend! You are going to do great! And you don't have to worry about changing your shoes during T2, which is a plus :)

Liz said...

Good luck this weekend!

Erin @ UntilYouTri said...

So exciting that you're doing your first triathlon!! So fun! I love that you laid out all your race goals. Good luck! I can't wait to hear how it goes:).

Elizabeth said...

Good luck on your first tri!

B.o.B. said...

good luck! i bet you beat your goal time!

Sara said...

Good luck! Be careful with that drinking from the bike business!! I had some problems with that as well: Would you risk your life for a sip of water?

I have since bought a hydration pack.